Thursday, July 19, 2012

Book Review: GlobeQuake

Globequake by Wallace Henley is a discussion of globalization, secularization and the great recession and everything else that has undergone significant change in just the past few years.

All of this change shakes up society, culture and longstanding beliefs, habits and routines in each person's life. The author equates these changes to the tectonic changes of teh earth tearing it apart and reshaping itself. Instead of being alarmist, however, Henley goes back to scripture for stability and reinforcement that there is always change, but yet there is always God.

I liked the analogy that the book is based on. I'm young, yet sometimes I find it hard to keep up with everything that is going on in the world. It can be overwhelming just to read the news or listen to the nightly news programming and all the change that is going on in the world.

This book brings you back down to earth and reminds you that God is in control. There were some things like church building that I had absolutely no interest in, but what I did like was the part on the family sphere. One year ago, my family sphere was in a mess. We were both working outside the home, my son kept getting sick frequently, my daughter needed more attention, I was miserable in my work and so was my husband. We made the decision for me to quit based on many factors. So the past 10 1/2 months since I quit my career in favor of being a stay at home mom has been a year of rebuilding (and growing!) my own sphere.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publisher in exchange for my review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion here is entirely my own.

No comments: